Y’all know I hate jargon.
Hate it to the point that I commit myself to teaching people how to obliterate it in their own copy.
And I hate it so much, that I got inspiration from this little 5-part comic strip to create today’s video.
Forget the rabbit’s pessimism, you can TOTALLY stop using jargon / “forbidden words.” And in today’s video, I’m going to point out some of the words that annoy me the most, and give you some ideas for substitutions or things to say instead.
So let’s get into it, shall we?
Hey hey hey there all my copywriting lovelies…..
Today I’ve got a short but sweet video for you… and we’re talking about WORDS to avoid in copywriting.
Like, words or phrases that you should never, ever use, no matter what you’re writing.
A bit of a SHIT LIST, if you will. Of words that should be avoided with the exact amount of care Harry Potter characters avoid saying “Voldemort” – but without the immediate threat of death, of course.
So again, these are words NOT TO USE IN YOUR COPYWRITING. (If your boss insists on using these in conversation, that’s fine. Play along by their rules. But for the love of god, don’t publish these words on your company website.)
- Solution(s) – Like, the most generic word of all generic words. The worst is when people put this word in their business name. Just say what problem you solve & what your tool or service does.
- Innovative – When someone uses this word to describe themselves or their business, I kind of assume they’re full of themselves and don’t have a grip on reality. Don’t tell me that you’re innovative, tell me WHY and HOW you’re innovative, and you won’t even have to use that word.
- Deep Dive – If you’re not careful, it can sound perverted. Better just to say it for what it is: which is probably detailed.
- Flesh out – Sounds disgusting if you think about it. Really gross. [sound of disgust] Use something better.
- Paradigm shift – so lofty – what the what? I don’t even know what this means. First, figure out what “paradigm” you’re “shifting” and what the end result of that shift will be, and just say that instead.
- Pivot – All this reminds me of is Ross on Friends. (show clip) Instead, spell out WHAT you’re “pivoting” and the end result of said pivot.
- Turnkey solution – I literally think about an old-style key that goes into a key hole and opens a big door and CANNOT IMAGINE anything else. Just spell out what the damn thing is.
- “Influencer status” / “Thought Leader” – just say famous
- Game Changer – This term is super bro-y and super generic, whether you like it or not. Again, explicitly state which “game” your changing and HOW you’re changing it. End results here, people.
- “Digital Age” – What is this, the year 2000? It’s no longer considered something different or out-there. IT’S NORMAL, EVERYDAY LIFE. BUSINESS AS USUAL.
Okay, so those were 10 of my “shit list” terms of words to avoid in copywriting.
But I’d love to know what words you HATE and cringe at every time you see on a website. Comment below and let me know some of them and why you hate them. I wanna know! (Plus, sometimes it just feels so good to bitch about things that bother us.)
And if you find yourself in violation of this “words to avoid in copywriting” shit list, don’t worry, I’ve got the perfect solution.
Click on the screen popup, or check out the link below to get my free 3-part copywriting course that will lead you through start-to-finish in replacing any kind of shit list words or jargon phrases you’ve got on your website.
We start with a lesson that’ll help you write AMAZING headlines and hooks, then get into breathing fresh air into your body copy, and finish by focusing on your calls to action.
And not only will your website SOUND better, but you’ll be selling more pretty much instantly after you finish the course.
So click the link and sign up now, and I’ll see you in your inbox. Bye!
SEE WHAT I MEAN?!?
These words are so annoying and meaningless, aren’t they?
But also, SO EASY to replace if you just take a moment to be deliberate about it.
So tell me…. what are some of your most-hated “forbidden words” in copywriting?
Get My *Free* Handbook on Turning Boring, Tacky Copy Into the SUPER Interesting Stuff that Converts & Sells Like Crazy
Great copy is the secret to any high-performing website. And for most people who find themselves on the Copy Power website, it’s THE ticket they’ve been looking for to get more conversions and more sales. 🤑 💰